Friday 16 October 2015

Frostgrave Terrain - part three



My latest piece of scratch built terrain for Frostgrave started as a simple stone from the back garden.

Image Two - The stone and an oval of 3mm thick plastic card.


Image Three - I glued the stone in place with my trusty Hot Glue gun.


Image Four - And built up the groundwork with DAS modelling clay.


Image Five - The groundwork was further textured with some sieved stones and sand sprinkled over uPVA glue.


Image Six - The basecoat was a mix of black, white, brown and blue. I tend to add these colours with a large brush and mix them on the model rather than on a palette.


Image Seven - The drybrushing began with a lighter mix of the black, white and blue colour. I apply the drybrushing with a flat or chisel headed artist brush.


Image Eight - A second drybrushing of white on the highest points.


Image Nine - The groundwork or base was painted in my usual colour mix of Snakebite Leather from GW with highlights picked out with a Snakebite/white drybrush.


Image Ten - The base was further detailed with some of the individual stones picked out in a black/white mix. I have also 'washed' the model with various brown and sepia washes. I like to 'blur' the join between the stone and the base colour and I think this is illustrated perfectly in this image.


Image Eleven - the base was decorated with flock, railway scatter and static grass tufts after being varnished with galleria Matt varnish.


This model is 75mm x 70mm and 50mm tall. It cost virtually nothing to make as the stone was free, the plastic card picked up from a DIY store carpark, the rest of the materials and paint was already in my possession.

Stay tuned for further examples of scratch-built terrain in future posts.

Tony

I also recommend watching this interesting tutorial from Tale of Painters on painting stones and applying snow.

No comments: