Sunday 22 June 2014

Stratford Armouries Museum - my latest away-day



It is rare for me to have a weekend off. Therefore when I do have a precious Saturday or Sunday off, I have to be very particular as to how I spend it and share it with Sue. I have had a fine weekend not working, spending Saturday at Birmingham University for a presentation and Sunday at The Stratford Armouries Museum, Pathlow on the outskirts of Stratford on Avon.

The museum has a wide range of exhibits, well worth the £6.50 entry cost, and even better value if you can pick up a deal on Amazon!

The full details of the museum and exhibits can be found at this link. Here are a couple of images of the larger display pieces. I'll post with more images later in the month.

Unlike a number of rather stuffy museums, Sue and I have visited over the last couple of years, The Stratford Armouries Museum felt more like visiting the house of a passionate collector, a collector who wanted to share his passion with each and every visitor, there were rooms with lots of exhibitions behind glass, but for me it was the quiet areas, with tables strewn with books on Roman Armour, Modelling The M3 Sherman or The history of Arms and Armour available for you to browse and read at your own pace that made my day. This is a great day out and just to prove that it was not all about arms and armour, Sue enjoyed seeing the personal letters and watching the gliders take off from the airstrip at the bottom of the garden.

A great day, thank you Sue for booking it for me.



















Tony

2 comments:

Phil said...

Great pics, love the catapult!

MarkG said...

Living with a in stones throw of Stratford and didn't know this existed. One to visit I think.