Monday 21 June 2010

Fathers Day 2010

I spent Fathers Day, sitting in the garden, listening to the World Cup on the radio and drinking Pims. It was a fantastic day with my Son and his girlfriend and my Daughter stopping by for lunch. Amongst my pressies, of sweets and biscuits, I had this 2000AD Graphic Novel - Devlin Waugh - Swimming in Blood and the DVD Ingloriuos Basterds by Quentin Tarantino.

I have written about Devlin Waugh in earlier posts, but would add that I find the 'off-the-wall' humour and writing very enjoyable. I recently gave my earlier book to my daughter to read and her comments were much the same as mine - very strange, but funny strange!

I watched Inglorious Basterds last night, after the Brazil - Ivory Coast match and throughly enjoyed it. I had listened to reviews on Radio 5 - the comical Mayo and Commode Film Review, so knew exactly what to expect. Even so it was a rip-roaring, tongue-in-cheek war movie that made me laugh out loud.


I am now looking to have another quiet day in, I know my Wife is looking forward to the start of Wimbledon, so I can see arguments about who will have the 'big' TV and who will have to watch their sport on the portable! I think I may loose.

Tony

2 comments:

Dencarion said...

Never heard of Devlin Waugh. The cover looks like a mix of Flash Gordon and Steampunk.
I will have to see if I can find more info on it.
Oh, Happy Fathers Day :)
Cheers
Klaus

Tony said...

I can understand that Devlin Waugh would not be to everyones taste. I had not heard of him until I picked up a book last month, but I have enjoyed reading the stories and the artwork in very good.

Devlin Waugh is an anti-hero for the 90's: Charismatic and callous. He loves fin wines, exquisite arias and ultra-violence. A former Olympic athlete banned for steroid abuse, Devlin fights dirty and looks after number one!

Well worth checking out.

Tony